An old school has been working for 100 years halfway from Vecpiebalga to Jaunpiebalga. Jāņaskola or Jāņa- school was situated in 2-storey brick house at the end of an old lime-tree lane. There was born Emīls Dārziņš – a famous Latvian composer (1875 – 1910). The museum was opened in 1969, and there is a memorial exhibition for visitors and music of Emīls Dārziņš is recorded in the big classroom.
On the ground floor there is also an exhibition that displays materials about Jānis Sudrabkalns (1894 – 1975) – a remarkable Latvian poet.
Jāņa- school was being built from 1870 till 1971 and was opened as one of four existing parish schools in Jaunpiebalga region. Its first teacher was Andžs Dārziņš, the father of the composer Emīls Dārziņš, and he has managed this school for 25 years (1871 – 1896). Initially the school was one storey- house built from stone, and had a thatched roof. The second floor was built in 1875, but after a fire in 1878 the building was to restore. And then its appearance has been preserved as we see it nowadays. Emīls Dārziņš was born here on 3rd November,1875, and he spent here 20 years of his life.
In autumn 1903 poet Jānis Sudrabkalns began his schooling there. His school mates were also actor Emīls Mačs and painter Jēkabs Strazdiņš. Jāņa- school has always been a light source of the area. Nearly a century there has been a school. Later after closing the school there was formed a memorial room of Emīls Dārziņš, but on 11th August 1968 there was opened Emīls Dārziņš and Jānis Sudrabkalns museum that is called “Jāņaskola”.
The exposition displays things of Emīls Dārziņš given by his mother. The sounds of “Melancholic valse” come from the big classroom. The best choir and solo songs of Emīls Dārziņš can be listened to as well. There is the piano which he used to play and also a polyphone and a harmonium from the same time.
Often there are thematic exhibitions about Piebalga region and its best people and also lectures about creative life of Emīls Dārziņš and Jānis Sudrabkalns.
Jaunpiebalga, Jaunpiebalga community, LV 4125Kontakti:
Manager of Piebalga union of museums “Orisāre”
The museum is open 15th May - 15th October
Wednesdays – Sundays, 10.00 – 17.00